Public Address (PA) systems are still one of the most effective and relied upon tools for providing immediate information to large groups of people in a healthcare facility. In a world of catastrophic weather events, active shooters, and a generally distracted population, a clear and concise voice alert is still a valuable communication tool. Public Address technology has evolved to meet the needs of the current healthcare environment. The traditional 70v ceiling speaker paging system can now include sophisticated, programmable features like:
- Seamless connectivity with VoIP phone networks and integration with our Rauland Enterprise Nurse Call system for Automated Code Announcements
- Intelligent processors programmed with pre-recorded emergency messages that can be automated to broadcast critical weather alerts and active-shooter warnings.
- Virtual “Zones” mapped in software, so announcements go only to the department that needs to hear them.
- Multiple hospitals across the city (or beyond) can be combined into one network, allowing one central receptionist (or any VoIP phone) to page an individual in any building on the network.
- Sensors on amplifiers can send an email or text when they detect a speaker failure
IP Paging Systems
The foremost development in paging technology has been integrating IP Paging “endpoint” devices to the hospital’s IP network. IP paging speakers on your network allow for a true mass notification system that can include phones, text messages, computer screen pop-ups, along with coordinated paging announcements.
Imagine an automated system that directs your staff to the correct exits based on where a fire alarm was pulled, or a tornado alert that then directs people to the nearest safe location in your building.
For facilities with a large footprint of existing 70v ceiling speakers, we can design a hybrid system. Digital-to-analog converters receive the VOiP message/alert, which is then routed to “intelligent” 70v amplifiers that broadcast the message through existing ceiling speakers and paging horns. Separate IP message boards can provide scrolling text to reinforce the emergency message.
Torrence has been designing, installing, and servicing commercial PA systems for over 70 years. Our expertise in providing customized paging solutions for healthcare is a highly regarded service.
Contact Torrence to learn more about upgrading your current paging system to an advanced communication solution.